Friday, July 27, 2012

Just Darlin' Coasters


Hello all! Today's guest post is by my crafty blogger friend, Sam. Her creations are seriously just darlin', I can only dream of having her talent! Little Bitty Readers, welcome Sam! 

First of all, I want everyone to know that I hate working with glitter. That’s an extreme emphasis on hate. Yes, I know hate is a strong word but I really think that all this glitter business should be left to Tinkerbell.

Oh yeah, by the way, I’m Sam. I run the little business that you’ve probably never heard of called Just Darlin’. If you wanna change that and get to know a little bit more about me and Just Darlin', you should head on over to my blog, take a look around and introduce yourself! I would love to hear from you! You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter.

Anyway, back to the glitter business, I’m going to show you how to make glittery coasters that are a great accessory for any room or patio. I haven't found a tutorial that I liked on how to make these so I thought I would just do my own. Here. Goes. Nothing.

Materials:

1. Glitter (I used fine glitter. You can try different types but I'm not sure how well it would work.)
2. ModPodge
3. Bathroom Tile
4. Foam Brush
5. Paint Brush
6. Cork or felt for the backing
7. Newspaper or something to catch all the glitter
8. Polyacrylic Sealant (I use Minwax brand.)

How to:
1. Apply the ModPodge on the tile with the foam brush. It doesn't take a whole lot so no need to over do it.

2. Pour the glitter. I mean really pour it on thick and make sure you have your newspaper laid down to catch all of this craftiness that's going on. There should be no white showing from the tile.



3. Pick up the tile, remove the excess glitter by tapping each corner and side gently to make sure anything that isn't stuck to the tile is removed.

4. You must then wait for the first coat to dry. I would leave it alone for the next couple of hours or possibly even overnight.

5. Repeat steps 1-4. FYI: applying the second coat of ModPodge will not go smoothly with glitter already applied to the tile. The foam brush will pick up some glitter but no need to worry unless a big chunk of the glitter comes off but you can just fix it with the second coat.

6. After the second coat of ModPodge and glitter has completely dried, you will then use your paintbrush to apply the sealant. You can apply as many coats of sealant as you would like. I did about two but you must wait for the previous coats to dry.


7. After you have completed the sealant step you can then apply the backing to your tile. This will allow for safe placement on your furniture.

8. Enjoy your new set of coasters!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and I hope it inspires you as well. I would love to see the coasters that you created and I hope Cyntra has me back another time for a guest post!

...until next time...

-Sam


Thanks bunches Sam! Ryan and I don't have any coasters, but after realizing how easy it is to create them I see glitter in my future! 

xoxo
Cyn

1 comment:

  1. They turned out so good when I completed the whole set. I hope you ending making some!

    ReplyDelete